CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New calling...

I got a phone call Saturday morning from our first counselor in the Bishopric asking if he could come out to our house and talk with me. He was going to come at 3 p.m. I figured I was going to get released from my Nursery calling, but there must be more to it as why else would he come all the way out to our house?!


Brother Taylor arrived 10 minutes early. As always, he had the biggest grin on his face. He is the most friendly, soft spoken, kind man. You literally have to be so quiet when he is speaking as he speaks so quietly and humbly. When he talks to you he looks directly in to your eyes. It almost feels as if he is looking into your soul. He asked me how I liked serving in the Nursery as it has been a year now. I told him it has been great! He was smiling and said that was great and then told me they had been praying about my name and they wanted to know if I would be willing to serve as the Young Woman's Secretary? 

I was so shocked, but so excited. I said YES right away and he laughed. I told him I have been in the Primary for almost 6 years now so this will be a good change. Don't get me wrong as I have enjoyed being in the Primary, but this is a welcome change. 
It was our Ward Conference on Sunday. I was a nervous wreck as I didn't know where to go or what to do. I still brought the Nursery snack as I was supposed to bring it and they didn't know I was getting released. 

The YW President came and pulled me out of Sunday School to talk with me. I was given the binder that the other Secretary had been using and briefly told what was in and all I had to do. I must have looked like a deer caught in the head lights as she started to laugh and said, 

"don't worry I will email you all that you need to know and do." 

It was time for YW and it was combined since the Stake was there. As I walked in I was greeted with many hand shakes (the Stake leaders) saying, "

hello Sister Stanford welcome to your new calling" 

I couldn't believe they new my name. The Stake Secretary came up to me and grabbed my hand and said, 

"don't worry Sister Stanford, I know this is overwhelming, but you will be great." 

I was needing to hear that as I was feeling SO overwhelmed and SO out of my element. Being there and hearing all that the Youth are being taught and why they are taught what they are taught (on dating) was so neat. 
This is an amazing booklet. Sister Kearl (Stake YW President) said she has put a square around the word You in Youth in the title. As it really is For the Strength of YOUth! That hit me. So now, both my book and Cole's book now has the YOU circled on it.


The spirit was very strong especially once President Roche got up to speak. What a neat man! I was brought to tears when he spoke about the Deacons (Cole's age group) and his love for them. He prays for each and every one of them every night. He spoke about how keeps the Stake Directory of all the Deacons by his bedside and says each of their names in his prayers. And if he knows them he tries to picture them in his mind. So he said he was grateful to be in the Deacons class today so he could meet them all and now have a name to the faces that he prays for. I was so over come that he would do that for my son, a Deacon when he didn't even know him. How deeply grateful and thankful I am to him for doing that. 

I had to laugh at myself as I found myself in a panic during our combined YW and YM. I looked at my watch and it was 1:00 p.m. that meant it was time to clean up the toys in Nursery and get ready for snack ha ha ha....my mind is SO programmed and in Nursery mode! I found myself smiling and picturing what they were doing right then...I love those Nursery kids and I will definitely miss them all =)

It was amazing to be feeling the spirit and hearing a message/lesson taught and me actually learning from it. Yes, you can feel the spirit in Nursery and learn from them, but this was just a NICE change...a VERY welcome change to what my Sundays are going to be like from now on. I am looking forward to all the changes and the spiritual growth that I will get from this calling.

Can I just say, how thankful I am to all the leaders of the church for all they do to help us parents teach our children...we SO need them!!

2 comments:

Gayla Woolf Holt said...

I loved reading this! So I had to read it again. Smile.
I remember Pres. Hinckley encouraging ALL the adults of every age to carry the mini condensed version of the Strength of Youth in their wallets. That way we could whip it out to answer any questions the youth might have by saying, "Let's check the 'book'". He advised it works every time.
Does your budget cover mini books of them for the parents? LOL
That reminds me, I think I will go buy one for myself.
Love you. Mom

Lynn said...

I got the goosebumps reading this. I really feel your excitement and enthusiasm. Those YW are SO lucky to have you as one of their leaders. You will be able to help those girls on SO many levels. More than you will ever know right now. I can feel it. As you get to know them.....they will feel like they can come to you with anything and tell you anything. They will trust you. And that is HUGE in this day and age. You will be able to send them off with good advice.....sometimes helping them make the most VITAL choice at a pivotal moment in their lives. That is HUGE! Okay.....I probably just made it more stressful for you and might of given you more anxiety. Oops! But seriously.......you will do great! I just know it.